Are You Hockey Ready?
Hockey season is well underway and there are many people who like to get out on the ice for fun and competitively. Before doing so, it is important to consider a few things before stepping onto the ice. We aren’t all professionals, however, it is still important to invest in proper equipment. Sticks and skates that are suited to your height and size are just as important as a properly fitting helmet. Hockey helmets are designed to withstand multiple impacts, however, resist the temptation to buy one second hand. Plastic breaks down over time and you never know what you may be getting and you could be putting yourself or your child at risk. Make sure to look for the safety certification. Older helmets may not meet current safety standards. It is important to look for safety certification by CSA (Canadian Standards Association or CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission).
Make sure to sharpen your skates regularly for better performance and replace any damaged or broken equipment.
Remember to never stretch a cold muscle, do a warm-up before pre-game stretching. Don’t overstretch and don’t bounce.
If you are injured during the game, or if you experience pain that lasts longer than your usual post-game soreness, don’t try to play through the pain, and consult a Chiropractor. We are here to help you to feel better and get back on the ice quickly and safely.
Hockey can be a very fast pace and there is a risk of concussion from being on the ice.
If you hit your head, be aware of signs of Concussion
- Blurred vision
- Problems with coordination or balance
- Difficulty remembering teammates’ names or the plays
- Any loss of consciousness-even briefly
What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a traumatic brain injury caused when the brain is shaken inside the skull. This can be due to a fall, a blow to the head, or even from whiplash. You don’t necessarily have to hit your head to get a concussion.
If you think you suffered a concussion, have neck or back pain, or experience tingling or numbness, get examined by a healthcare professional immediately.
If you are looking for Christmas gift ideas, how about a Massage Therapy Gift Certificate from our Registered Massage Therapist Lori Tangen.
Benefits of Massage Therapy (Written by Loraine Tangen)
Massage Therapy is generally considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. It’s increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations. Studies of the benefits of massage therapy demonstrate that it is an effective treatment for:
- Reducing stress – The long-term effects of stress can take emotional and physical tolls. Massage therapy may relieve stress and conditions associated with it, such as tension headaches.
- Getting better sleep – Research indicates that massage can improve sleep in those with lower back pain, fibromyalgia, insomnia, pain and other health conditions.
- Boosting mental health and wellness – Research suggests that symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression (all associated with mental health) may be directly affected with massage therapy.
- Managing pain – Pain can negatively affect a person’s quality of life and impede recovery from illness or injury. Research shows massage can help low-back pain, headaches, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and more.
- Increase range of motion – Elite and recreational athletes alike can benefit from massage therapy. Massage can help reduce muscle tension, improve exercise performance and prevent injuries.
While more research is needed to confirm the benefits is massage therapy, some studies have found massage may be helpful for:
- Insomnia related stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Parenthesis and nerve pain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Despite its benefits, massage is not meant as a replacement for regular medical care.
If you have not been into the office to see that our Christmas draw is going on, this is what we are doing this year. We have a donation box in the reception area for the London Human Society. With every item donated you will receive a ballot to be entered into a draw for a beautiful Christmas basket.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us by visiting our web site at: www.drfrederickchiropractic.com
Contact us: Phone #: (519) 472-8700 or
Ontario Massage Therapy.net
Leave A Comment